Wednesday, September 06, 2006

DID HE REALLY SAY THAT?

YES. YES HE DID


President Bush has always been quotable....for all the wrong reasons.

When Bush makes up words, twists meanings, mangles definitions, says something incredibly insensitive, or simply has trouble getting his thoughts to come out of his mouth in a way that makes sense, he has uttered a "Bushism".

For example, "I know how hard it is to put food on your children."

You know what he's trying to say, you kinda get what he means, but it's all wrong.

He's had a rich history of producing these kinds of classic quotes, literally hundreds of them, and 2006 has delivered a bumper crop.

Part One of the Best Of Bush, 2006 :

He got 2006 off to a remarkable, David Brent-like start, with this utterance of mind-numbing insensitivity to a group of young Iraq War veterans, many of whom were double amputees, on New Year's Day :
"As you can possibly see, I have an injury myself -- not here at the hospital, but in combat with a cedar (tree). I eventually won. The cedar gave me a little scratch. As a matter of fact, the Colonel asked if I needed first aid when she first saw me. I was able to avoid any major surgical operations here, but thanks for your compassion, Colonel."
Just for the record, Bush was obviously trying to lighten the mood at the hospital. It didn't work. Even the White House official photographer couldn't get a photo of Bush with the veterans and doctors that didn't show them all looking stunned, annoyed or extremely pissed off at the president.
"The United States of America is engaged in a war against an extremist group of folks," (August 15, 2006)

"I was not pleased that Hamas has refused to announce its desire to destroy Israel."
(May 4, 2006
)

"
We shouldn't fear a world that is more interacted."
(June 27, 2006)


"I think -- tide turning -- see, as I remember -- I was raised in the desert, but tides kind of -- it's easy to see a tide turn -- did I say those words?"
(June 14, 2006)

"You never know what your history is going to be like until long after you're gone."
(May 5, 2006)

"The point now is how do we work together to achieve important goals. And one such goal is a democracy in Germany."
(May 5, 2006)

"That's called, A Charge To Keep, based upon a religious hymn. The hymn talks about serving God. The president's job is never to promote a religion."
(
May 5, 2006)

"You took an oath to defend our flag and our freedom, and you kept that oath underseas and under fire."
(in a speech to war veterans, January 10, 2006).

"I like my buddies from west Texas. I liked them when I was young, I liked them then I was middle-age, I liked them before I was president, and I like them during president, and I like them after president."
(Feb. 1, 2006
)

"I can look you in the eye and tell you I feel I've tried to solve the problem diplomatically to the max, and would have committed troops both in Afghanistan and Iraq knowing what I know today."
(April 24, 2006)
Not enough world leaders use Bill & Ted/Wayne's World-era phrases like "To The Max".

Go here for a more comprehensive list of Bushisms from About.com