Friday, February 02, 2007

Always Time For A Few Jokes

President Bush doesn't like to miss any opportunity to try out his stand-up comedy stylings, even in the midst of the most horrific, most expensive and mostly deadly foreign policy debacle the United States has seen for decades, if not in the entire history of the nation.

So Bush hit the Alfalfa Club for his annual celebration of the birthday of Civil War Confederate Leader Robert E. Lee.

The Alfalfa Club "jokingly" elected George W. Bush President Of The United States in January, 1998. A bigh laugh was had by one and all. Shortly after, Bush and Karl Rove began his campaign to make that joke into a reality in 2000.

Here's Bush's attempts this year to lighten the mood of a few hundred of America's most elite political and business leaders :

"As always, I'm delighted to be back at Alfalfa. When I was here last year, my approval rating was in the 30s, my nominee for the Supreme Court had just withdrawn and my vice president had shot someone -- ah, those were the good old days.

"What with the polls and everything, the Washington Post said the other day that I was, quote, 'at the nadir of my presidency.' The press always underestimates me. I can go lower."

And: "Hey, let me give you an update on that satellite that was blown out of the sky last week. The Chinese didn't do it. Cheney was out hunting again."

Ho, ho, ho.